Standing three miles off shore, Sand Island Lighthouse once aided safe passage into the mouth of Mobile Bay. Built in 1873 and long since decommissioned, Sand Island Lighthouse has withstood the test of time and the ravages of many hurricanes. The look of the lighthouse has change dramatically over the past century. As early as the 60's a large house once stood at its' base, supported by the massive block and pillars that now form the "ruins".
Middle Bay Lighthouse
Middle Bay Lighthouse is a prominent feature of Mobile Bay. Located in the mid-point of the Mobile ship channel, the lighthouse was built in 1885 and deactivated in 1967. She now stands guard in the middle of the bay as a day marker to all vessels in the area.
Prior to being decommissioned, she was maintained and run by a lighthouse keeper who took residence in the "house". At one point, because of the remote location in the bay, a cow was kept on the deck to supply milk to the keeper and his family.